Justin Patton, President and CEO, Justin Patton, LLC, is one of my favorite presenters and this blog post are based on my notes from his session at the recent ACCE Annual Meeting in Indianapolis.
He started by asking the question “What is Trust?” The unwavering belief that you are going to have my back.
Trust is money. Not time is money! Trust is your biggest competitive advantage.
When you have trust you have:
Trust is what keeps people coming back!
Trust is about:
- Transparency – do you take people with you along the journey?
- Emotions - I feel, Thoughts - I believe, Decisions - the reason I/we
- Tact – do we create a safe space for people to open up?
- Togetherness – do you take people feel less alone in the world?
The toxic five that ruins a culture:
Emotional Bank Account
- Put empathy before information
- The best leaders communicate to build trust!
- “Trust is built in the doing. One yes at a time!”
For me, trust is about telling the truth and doing what you said you were going to do. To me, it’s that simple!