Don’t get overwhelmed with your governance structures. Keep them simple.
Here's three that most have:
- Board of Directors;
- Standing Committees (i.e. finance, membership, government affairs, education); and
- A Task Force for anything else since Task Force’s expire after their work is done.
And use these three different entities to showcase your volunteers and it’s a great proving ground for leadership in your governance structure moving forward.
What do I mean by that?
- A rock star on a Task Force might be invited to join a Standing Committee in the future;
- A Standing Committee rock star may be asked to join the Board;
- A rock star Board member may be asked to chair a Standing Committee; and
- And those Standing Committee chairs might rise to the leadership positions on the Board (i.e., vice chair, incoming chair and eventually chair).
Just a thought! But at least you’ll have a track record of their leadership skills over a period of time.
That’s a recipe for success in any governance structure.