Early engagement is a key component in your retention efforts. Start right after they join. Here are a couple of ideas mentioned.
- Start a conversation with your initial onboarding communication.
- Enroll them in the members only part of your website.
- Conduct quarterly conference calls with the president with these new members.
- Have a special event for new members/first timers at your annual meeting.
They went on to discuss different ways to engage your members in the renewal process by sending a series of three emails.
- 60 days prior to due date – do you plan on renewing?
- 30 days prior to due date – what have you found most valuable?
- 20 after due date – did you know you're pass due?
Obviously, each of these emails will allow them to renew.
When it came to lapsed members, they suggested:
- A quick three question survey on why they lapsed.
- Conduct a “we miss you” campaign six months after they’ve lapsed.
- Use telemarketing for those lapsed members over a year and bring them back by credit card.
- If appropriate, use your board members to make lapsed members calls. They know the value of membership. They’re your best ambassadors.
- All your membership renewal communications should come from the President and CEO.
As a final comment, it’s always good to review your renewal and lapsed member campaigns to make sure you’re taking full advantage of best practices.