- Trade associations are owned by their members - chamber’s that means your small business owners own the chamber, not you, not the community.
- The Board as a body speaks for the ownership, not individual board members.
- The Board has one employee, the CEO. The board only speaks to the CEO, not staff.
- Boards should not just approve committee reports but use these documents as a basis for the board to make decisions (i.e. policy) on behalf of the organization.
- Board meetings are not about going over the past. Board meetings should be about large decisions and the future of the organization.
Do yourself and your chamber a favor and take the time to read this article and make your own notes and observations for further discussion with your board.